Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Vaccine Court Awards Yet More Millions To Children Who Developed Autism

The autism/vaccine debate has been been a hot topic since before my son was diagnosed 12 years ago. I submit this blog for your review with undying respect for parents with children living with autism and their families. Many of my friends have vaccinated their affected children according to schedule and feel the assault on their young bodies contributed to the autism that followed. I am not a doctor and make no claims either way. Below you will find our story. It is a repeat version of the thousands I have heard from many concerned and disheartened moms and educators I have been privileged to meet.

Over the years, I have been asked (repeatedly) by parents and professionals alike if  I believed my son's autism was caused by one  or more of the routine vaccinations given during infancy. It seems to be a particular topic of fascination for my friends of children who developed normally. Some of them are actually offended when I offer my opinion: "I do not think they were the only factor, but yes, they probably contributed to his disability." These parents are among the most intelligent I know, and I am glad for the peace of mind they have when they tuck their children in at night. "My doctor says they are safe!" In their defense, maybe I'd be reciting the same line, if my Jack wasn't the 1 in 88 diagnosed with this lifelong and devastating illness.

I recall a sunny day in autumn, many years ago now, when Jack was almost one and I took him him for his one year physical. We would leave Staten Island for good two weeks later, and I wanted to meet with his pediatrician one last time, before I had to move and research another one.  I remember distinctly a pretty and jolly nurse coming into the room and announcing it was a good idea that Jack get his MMR shot right then, being it would probably take me a little while to locate a new doctor up in Orange County. She said not vaccinating him at this age was endangering his very life.  I was a new mother in love with my precious baby boy, and, of course, I would anything to protect him.

Prior to the jab, she presented me with a consent form. "What is this?" I needed to know. "Oh, that," she said casually. "That is a form we need you to sign releasing the doctor from any blame in the unlikely event that your son has an adverse reaction to the shot. It's nothing."

"Excuse me?" I managed to say. "I do not know how I feel about this. I am going to need to home and speak with my husband before he receives this shot." This was before we owned a cell phone and I was alone in the office, making what I perceived a very important decision. Then she hit me full-force. "Oh, you are a young mother and have your concerns, I'm sure. But the doctor knows best, and it's a one in a million chance someone is actually affected. Your baby is healthy-it won't be your son." And with that reassurance, I signed the paper and what might have been Jack's life away at the same time, only I would never be sure in the future. He was given the shot and an "Okay, he looks great!" by the doctor, and off we went.

That evening I told my husband what happened and he almost convinced me I made the right decision, but I was still very shaken by the nurse's words. In a very short time we would leave New York City forever and move to the land of Orange County and the beautiful Hudson Valley, and there was much to do. Two weeks later, in the new house, we hosted a huge party for Jack in honor of his first birthday. Our closest friends and family were surrounded by balloons and unpacked boxes, and as we snapped pictures, I had an uneasy feeling in my stomach I could not comprehend. Not so long after, two months after a DPT shot, Jack contracted what seemed like a persistent stomach virus that lasted for six months, even when the initial fever went away. Our new doctor told us the fowl-smelling diapers were caused by teething...but I didn't believe that for one minute. His eye contact was fleeting and his few words started to disappear. He seemed lost, confused, and he started to flap his arms. I didn't tell my husband what I feared most, and I started the ball rolling with Early Intervention Services, just to be sure, as they told me, that everything "was all right." But we know how that all went, and a visit to a developmental pediatrician confirmed what the therapists already knew. A blood test four years later revealed his titers for MMR were insanely off the charts. To think what a few viruses at once could do to a developing brain at a crucial point in development! I can still cry.

Fast forward 13 + years and my son Jack still struggles with profound autism. As an educated mother and advocate, I have read probably everything there is to digest with regards to the vaccine controversy.  And my feeling remains the same. Yes, I do believe with all my being that the vaccinations given early in life were, in part, responsible for Jack's illness. Is there a blood test that will tell us for SURE...no, it does not exist.  I also believe there are many other causative factors including genetics, pollution and chemical contamination that can lead to an autism diagnosis in an affected child.

To this point of this blog, it does make me wonder why some families are secretly being awarded millions of dollars because their children were injured by vaccination...PERMANENTLY.  I am happy for their handsome awards. Sure, those dollars will help insure a child's therapy and lifelong care, but can any amount of money heal a broken family and restore what could have been a bright future? Is this our government's answer to the autism epidemic? Silence them with a fat lump of change and move on?  If a causative factor was not suspected, then WHY the compensation?  Sounds like a possible cover-up to me!  Remember, vaccines are big money makers. I don't know about you, but I'm pretty disgusted.

Here is a link to a recent article regarding two more children compensated for the loss of their chance of a normal and productive life:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/david-kirby/post2468343_b_2468343.html

In addition, studies are being conducted to prove that the aborted baby DNA found in some vaccines is responsible for the rise in autism.( It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out injecting people with the DNA from another people could be a risky thing). Not the mention the pro-life issue important to many. Here's another well-written piece for your consideration:

http://www.cogforlife.org/autism/


For your discernment. It has literally taken me many, many years, but I have finally freed myself from the painful guilt I suffered due to the decisions I have made regarding Jack's health care in the past. Here, in the Hudson Valley, I have met some of the most awesome parents and friends. Some of them have children with autism, while others do not. We are a unique groups of individuals, with many of us relocating from the city, in search of a better life for our beautiful children. I respect each and every one of them for the many decisions they will continue to make for the well-being of their families. Do I think vaccines given to Jack early in life contributed to his autistic condition? Yes, I firmly do. And you know what? Although I have truly given all up to God in Heaven, I still daydream now and then that I approach that spunky nurse from long ago and give her a piece of my mind. "Damn you," I say, "IT WAS MY SON!"

I cannot change the past, but I can make a difference...Jack can make a difference!  I URGE all new parents to take the time and do research. Weigh both the pros and cons of each injection, and make an educated and personal decision about what is injected into your child/when you choose to start vaccinating. I am at peace now (most of the time) knowing that I strive to give my children the absolute best I can...and realize that only God Himself knows the outcome of the choices we make.

May You Always Recognize The Blessings...









4 comments:

Cynthia H said...

Thank you for sharing your story! Who knows how many people will read this and think this issue through, maybe for the very first time. I know it took having a fourth child before I began to question the vaccine system and I made decisions very contrary to the way most are led. I have never regretted the decision as I know, without a doubt, with the other issues my son has faced he would have been a prime candidate for harm due to the addition of a vaccine.

Blessings on your journey!

Anonymous said...

I as well had a normal child at age one and made the mistake of trusting his doctor vaccinated him, he got very sick and lost all that he knew, now as a six year old he has autism. We didnt even know what we had done. When I learned about Dr. Bob Sears I took my son to him. My son is now a high fucntioning autistic child and we no longer vaccinate

Anonymous said...

It mentions Orange County if you do not know who Dr Bob Sears is I suggest you at least look him up. By finding my sons allergies and adjusting his diet accordingly with different foods and supplements, my son has begun to recover from some of his challenges with autism.

Anonymous said...

I cannot find the doctor or the article/YouTube, but it was suggested by one professional that the attenuates in some antibiotics could contribute to the problem, especially where testosterone is elevated. I know an instance where a one-year-old boy was given multiple injections of testosterone for a repair to his private parts; we had not given him vaccines and the anesthesiologist therefore decided to give him an IV of antibiotics. I think there is a connection.