Monday, February 25, 2013

Unexpected Sunday Blessings

So, after years of saving funds, we have finally refinished our hardwood floors in two rooms on the main level of our home. Most of our existing furniture is crammed tightly into the dining room and includes the piano, one of the sofas, and some miscellaneous other "stuff."  The other living set is now crammed into the kitchen, along with our regular make up of appliances and kitchen table with chairs.  We need to live this way until the floors completely cure and this can take up to 15 days. The extra-cozy space is making all of us a little bit loony...all, surprisingly, except for Jack.

Once upon a time all of this rearranging have been very very worrisome for Jack and he would have cried with all the chaos and mixing up of what he is used to. But he is easily going about his business in his room doesn't seem the least bit affected by the mess in the middle of the house. Quite frankly, he is handling the change better than the rest of us.

We went to Friendly's after church on Sunday and a tall and rather chatty autistic adult about the age of 20 came over to me and asked me my name. He proceeded to ask me the names of all the children and needed to know their ages. He quickly and correctly calculated the exact year of birth for all of them and seemed really proud of himself for doing so. My middle son turned to me and whispered lovingly, "He is a bit like Jack, only taller."  We found out his name and eagerly shook his hand. Before we were whisked away to our table, my eyes met those of his father's and held his gaze for a silent moment.

Our new friends sat to our right for the duration of lunch and we exchanged smiles and waves from across the tables. And I thought to myself, "So, this is what it could be like someday with Jack." And as I shared these thoughts with my husband I couldn't help but smile... A LOT.

"We can DO this," I think more often now.

Jack is always making progress and is not even the least bit upset about the hullabaloo on the first floor. He may always be different and probably need assistance with the most basic things, but he seems happier with himself and the world, and much more tolerant...more eager to reach out to others, and that is HUGE, as far as I am concerned. No, he may not live the life parents dream of for their children, but will have his place in the world and live with a happy heart and open mind.

Now, if only the rest of us survive the cramped quarters these next few weeks!

May You Always Recognize The Blessings.

No comments: