Friday, February 15, 2013

Random Thoughts The Day After Saint Valentine's Day

A few days ago, I wrote a bit about Jack and his blossoming love of women.  I recounted the great pain this often causes me, due to the rejection and reactions he is subjected to. These last few years I have taken it for granted that he was not at a place where he would comprehend or care about the mean words or obvious stares from the teenage girls he admired. Sometimes I am not so sure about this, now that he is older.

About two years ago, a young mentor working with Jack taught him how to roller skate, and he became addicted to it. Every day he would ask when she was coming back because he wanted to go roller skating. I was more than pleased about this, as participation in sports is not something that has worked out well for him. I supposed skating ranked high on his list of favorite things to do because he didn't have to interact with anyone. Or so I thought.

One day, I was invited to tag along with my other two boys, so I could see Jack skate for myself. Initially I was grateful for the benefit of the workout he was getting-and the potential sleep we all might have that evening as a result of it. We happily cheered him on until Jack's mentor called me into the center of the rink.

And there, in front of us, Jack was holding hands with a pretty red-haired, petite freckled-face girl. Our mentor approached her and said some words I did not hear, and suddenly they were skating together. One, two, three times she led him around, and after the song was over, she grinned and said, "Goodbye, Jack," as she skated off with her mother. And he stood there, beaming, as our mentor cried with me, in the middle of all those people going by. She hugged me and said, "Jack had a date! Jack had a date!" and I brushed the tears away from my eyes as I gratefully waved to the parent of the beautiful angel-girl who had just made my son's day. Jack skated over and quickly said, "I want to go home now," and we left in happy silence.

There are two basic innate human needs that came to me yesterday, on the feast of St. Valentine. We all desire to be loved, and we all want to be accepted for who we are.  This is true for all people on the planet earth, no matter what level of ability you may possess. We have the power to lift other humans up in spite of their short-comings in the eyes of the world, but must see through the veil that often hides the beauty that may lie deep inside them. What a difference even a stranger can make when they exercise kindness and compassion.  Like that little red-haired girl.

Jack is off from school today and we are going on a "date to the diner" where he will eat only the insides of the waffles, and I will bring my own green tea from home because I like it, and that is who I am. And I'm okay as far as Jack is concerned, and he is one great judge of character, so that is enough for me.

May You Always Recognize The Blessings

No comments: