Saturday, January 26, 2013

St. Joseph's Church

Every week there was an elderly gentlemen who sat in one of the first pews at mass in our church. We only saw him when we were going up for Holy Communion because we need to sit in the rear of the church, in case Jack has an outburst or repeatedly needs to use the bathroom. We try to be respectful of the congregation and sitting towards the back allows us to slip away easier, if the event presents itself. And more often than not, it does, with some Sundays being better than others. Hopefully we will always be able to attend Mass as a family as it is becoming more difficult.

I first noticed that man last autumn when upon seeing me directing Jack on the communion line, he touched me on the shoulder and said, "God Bless You." And in the weeks that followed he'd touch me lightly on the arm or take my hand and say, "May God Bless You." The kindness in his heart made a deep impression on me because I knew that little old man, a stranger, was praying for Jack and all my family. He sat alone with who knows what sadness in his own soul, and I knew when I saw his tearful eyes that we made a profound impression on him as well. Oftentimes Jack needs help with taking communion and I can actually feel the people sitting in the pews looking at us and praying. It's amazing how someone so silent as Jack can affect so many people.

The last time I saw our friend in the pew was before Christmas. We were on the way back from communion again and he grabbed my hand this time and put five dollars in it. He said, looking at Jack, "buy him ice cream." Shocked, I kissed him on the check and hugged him and managed to quickly say, "thank you, God bless YOU." And I ushered Jack back to our row in the back, sat down, and cried.  Later it dawned on me he may have given money that was part of his food budget, maybe all he had for that day. What greater gift than to give all you have to another human being?  Sometimes God sends the most wonderful angels to remind you of His Love.

May You Always Recognize The Blessings...









No comments: